Starting a Business in the Village of Los Ranchos?

Here’s what you need to know!

New Commercial Business Registration

Applying for your Business License:  Your first step to opening a new business in the Village is to fill out the Application for Commercial Business form, which can be found online, here, or picked up at Village Hall. You will be asked what kind of business you are opening, where it will be, and other pertinent certifications and contact information. You must have your CRS number on the application. This is your State issued gross tax receipt number which you received when you registered your business with the New Mexico State Tax & Revenue Department. Once filled out, you will submit your application and the $35.00 registration fee to Planning & Zoning for review. Submitting your application does not permit you to operate a business in the Village. 

Safety & Community Partnerships: All Commercial Businesses are required to obtain a Fire Safety permit from the County of Bernalillo. Your license will not be issued without an initial fire inspection. This will be scheduled after you complete your application and turn it is to the Planning and Zoning department. If you have a restaurant, food truck, or other business requiring environmental or other safety permits, this is the time to get those scheduled. Don’t forget to apply for a liquor license if applicable. 

Getting your License: After your business location has passed its fire safety inspection, has been approved for zoning, and payment is received, your business license will be signed, stamped, and delivered (or picked up in person if you prefer).   

Business Signs & Advertising: All business signs in the Village require a Sign Permit, which includes changing an existing sign. Please be sure to apply for your sign permits before installing or erecting any new signage. There are requirements and restrictions, so be sure to review the Ordinances on our website. Once your business is open, it’s time to bring in customers. Remember that your business cards, websites, and any other form of advertisement that has your business address, lists your correct address; Los Ranchos, NM

Gross Receipt Taxes: Our current tax rate in Los Ranchos, NM is 7.4375% and your gross receipt taxes must be reported accordingly under State Code 02-200. Gross receipt taxes are crucial to the economic well-being of the Village; by filing your taxes correctly you support the community and your business by keeping revenue in the Village of Los Ranchos.

 The Village of Los Ranchos de Albuquerque is pleased that you have decided to join our community. We want you to succeed and enjoy business in the Village. If you have any questions, contact Jennifer Schilling at

Note: Check the business listings page to see if you are listed and that your listing is correct. If you do not see your commercial business listed, let us know so we can add you to the listing.


New Home Occupation Registration

If you would like to apply for a new Home Occupation License (required if you are working from your home) please contact us by calling the Village Offices at 505-344-6582, or pick up an application at Village Hall during regular business hours.

If you already have a licensed home occupation in the Village of Los Ranchos, you should receive your renewal form in the mail in the beginning of November.

The Board of Trustees Approved and Adopted Ordinance No. 168 Amending Chapter 5, Sections 1, 3 & 4 of the Business Registration and Licensing Ordinance of the Village of Los Ranchos de Albuquerque on April 10, 2002. The Amendment states “There is imposed on each place of business conducted in the Village a business registration fee of $35.00.” This fee is now calculated with the Home Occupation Permit fee of $15.00 bringing the yearly renewal (and new application) fee to $50.00. New applications require a small public notice fee.  In addition, the Village of Los Ranchos de Albuquerque Board of Trustees adopted a new Zoning Ordinance on May 28, 2003 which repealed the separate Home Occupation Ordinance and incorporated it into the Zoning Ordinance as Section 24.D.5. 

The Village provides a free business listing on our website for all approved Home Occupation licensed businesses. The informational form is sent with the renewal letter and application. Please ONLY return the website listing information if you are submitting a NEW advertising request form (business not already advertised on the website) or if you have changes you want made to the listing currently advertised on the webpage.

Please fill out your renewal form and return it with the renewal fee by December 31.

Make your check out to the Village of Los Ranchos in the amount of $50.00. Please make a note on the check that it is for "Renewal of a Home Occupation License".  We accept cash, check, or card (in person) at this time.


How to Obtain a CRS Identification Number

Information in this section came from the NM Tax and Revenue. If you need additional information please visit their website.  A business operating in New Mexico must register with the New Mexico Taxation and Revenue Department. Most businesses need to obtain a CRS identification number. CRS, for Combined Reporting System is your state tax identification number.  Corporations need to register with the Public Regulation Commission in addition to obtaining a CRS identification number. For a list of applications, try the Public Regulation Commission (PRC) for forms.

To obtain a CRS identification number, register online with the NM Tax and Revenue website to any local tax office. There is no fee for registering or obtaining a CRS number. If you return your application in person, the CRS number will be assigned immediately.  Businesses with an average total tax liability of more than $200 per month must report on a monthly basis. Those with less than $200 per month may elect to report on a monthly, quarterly or semiannual basis.


The 02-200 Campaign

The 02-200 campaign an educational initiative to prevent Los Ranchos tax revenues from going unintentionally to Albuquerque. We need your help!  Please check out this information and tell your friends.  Don't forget to fill in 02-200 on your CRS-1 form with your taxes.